I think mobile marketing is the most effective marketing channel ever (and it is not even close).
1. Speedy Conversions – A stunning 70% of all mobile searches result in action within one hour (Source: Borrell Association, 2011) By way of comparison, 70% of online searches lead to action within one month. This statistic alone surprised me. Think, for a moment, about the implications of this statistic. This shows marketers, clearly, that people searching on a mobile phone are prepared to learn more about your company/product immediately. This compresses the sales pipeline tremendously.
There is no other marketing method that can approach these numbers.
2. Superior Quality Conversions – Our research indicates that conversion rates are 10 times higher on a phone than on the average landing page. Basically, this means that if a prospect calls you, they are 10 times more likely to buy your product than if they simply visit a landing page.
What does this have to do with mobile marketing? Well, guess what mobile marketing is really, really good at: generating phone calls. Google says that 61% of mobile searches result in phone calls. xAd says that 52% of all mobile ads results in phone calls.
There is no other marketing channel that produces phone calls that frequently.
In short: mobile generates the highest quality lead source the majority of the time.
3. Local Benefits – Google says that 95% of smart phone users look up local information regularly. 88% of these users take action within a day. This indicates that there are immediate needs searchers are trying to address.
Local companies should take advantage of these needs immediately. If your local business cannot be found on a mobile search, you won’t exist by 2014.
4. A ‘Captive’ Audience – If you have a smart phone you know how hopelessly addicted you are to it. You know that you can’t make it through a meal, a movie or even a trip to the restroom without checking your phone. You are a captive prisoner to your phone. This makes marketers smile. Marketers have long tried get their message in front of potential consumers. Marketers need access to consumers to get their message out. Well, mobile marketing gives you constant access to consumers. Studies show that 91% of smart phone owners have their phone with arms reach 24/7 (Source: Morgan Stanley, 2011).
There is no other channel that provides access to potential buyers 91% of the time.
5. And….Action! – 90% of mobile searches lead to action, over half lead to purchase (Source: MobiThinking, 2012) Wow.
6. Mobile Metrics are Easy to Measure – Google Analytics is definitely trending mobile. You can track where mobile users are, how frequently they visit and even which device they use. Additionally, integrating Google Analytics Multi-Channel Conversion Path with a call tracking tool allows you to track every engagement from the consumer. Phone calls are simple to track with any call tracking application (we prefer ours). And, remember, phone calls are the most common result of a mobile ad or mobile search.
Mobile is the Most Effective Ever
Mobile marketing is, frankly, different. Mobile’s response rates and success rates are astronomically higher than any other method of marketing ever seen before. Let me be perfectly clear: in terms of immediate response, no marketing method even compares to mobile marketing. Nothing even comes close.
Now this shouldn’t frighten traditional marketers, businesses or online marketers. This is an opportunity, not a problem. Think of it this way: you’ve been given a tool that will increase your engagement, conversion and your trackable metrics. That’s awesome!
My friend was right.